I love unique and one of a kind things, so naturally Pinterest would be a place of inspiration (and maybe a little envy) for me. I admit, I do have quite a few “Dream” boards filled with stuff I love, but probably will never have. Many involve Pallets and other Upcycled items.
Those who know me, know my house is one of those unique, one of a kind, older than your great grandma type of things. And with old houses comes, old things (and alot of unusual one of a kind issues like odd sizes, etc).
Hubby finally agreed to do one of these projects, which really made my day. I was getting something from one of my fantasy Pinterest Boards!
We first took down the old door, removed all of the hardware and pulled out all of the slat boards from the center of the door.
We used two different methods when we removed the old paint from the door. On one side we sanded the door (which took…FOREVER!) and the other side we used an Orange Based Finish Stripper and lifted all of the paint off. It was a much quicker process.
Once all of the paint was removed from the door, we sanded the door. We worked our way thru the Grits starting at 80 and went to a finer 220 Grit.
We measured the inside of the foor frame and began to cut Pallet Boards. All of the boards were sanded begining at 80 and working our way down to 220. Our biggest goal was ensueing that there would be no splinters or jagged edges.
We used a thin strip of Trim board and made angled corners on the board so the coners would meet together properly. We installed the strip using Power Grab caulking. We ensured it was secure by adding sone finishing nails to it. We turned the door over and began laying the pallet boards into the opening for them. We did quite a bit of arranging and rearranging of the boards to get them to fit together snugly and with the smallest amount of gaps as possible. We then places the trim boards on this side of the door and secured it with more Power Grab Caulk and finishing nails.
The proximity of the door know hole was going to interfere with the trim board so we ended up cutting a small area of the trim board out so the door knob would fit snug and secure where it was supposed to be.
We allowed the door to sit on our enclosed porch for about a week to help outgas some of the stink from the wood stain before we installed the hardware and rehung the door.